Saturday 26 October 2013

Awesome

Brilliant day. Got up at half past six on Sunday morning for the swimming with dolphins boat trip at 8am. Started with close up views of a family of orca killer whales which included 2 young feeding with their mothers. A hammerhead shark sought refuge under our boat before the orcas went after it, swimming right under the boat. They then shared whatever they caught, the mothers feeding the young whales. Awesome as it said on the crews shirts! Then it was over to another side of the bay to don our flippers, snorkel and wetsuits (water temp 17°c!) and swim with some bottlenose dolphins. Apart from us three, I estimate the average age on the boat was about 20. Phil and Ellie are concerned about my reference to selfies and the like in some of my blogs, but I am just getting down with da kids :-). Anyway I struggled to keep up with the kids as they swam after the dolphins. This turned out to be a good thing as the dolphins did a u turn and swam alongside me and below me for a minute. They seemed to look at me mockingly and roll their eyes as if to say poor old guy, can't keep up. Amazing experience and would love to do it again in warmer waters.
Here's a picture taken on my phone of one of the orcas ( better ones on my camera) I didn't get any photos of the dolphins as I was too busy trying to breath. Hopefully Cath got some possibly with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment